View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
we have a fragile black middle class in st. louis, and it is primarily centered in inner and mid suburban st. louis county. the raw reality is that the fallout of the ferguson riots, tragically, were primarily inflicted upon the black middle class/ownership class in ferguson and other small municipalities in st. louis county.

i've become much more aware of these often sloughed-over dynamics since then.

I agree, I worry about the fallout of the Ferguson riots and the effect on the entire St. Louis region. I disagree that the riots were primarily inflicted upon the black middle class, the riots were largely centered around the low income, Canfield apartments and other low income apartment complexes in that area. It is also not uncommon to hear middle class black St. Louis talk very....VERY disparagingly about the protestors, looting, even Mike Brown and these are not blacks most would consider "uncle toms". It is also not uncommon to hear many middle and upper middle class, even working class blacks have a extremely conservative worldview. I've always said that if the GOP wasn't so blatantly racist, got away from the Reagan is God mantra and focused on real issues, they would have a friend in working and middle class blacks.