View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
The average quality of life is better in Western Europe for MORE people that in the US. Yes, a middle class life in a European city means a cramped apartment, while in suburban Atlanta it means a single family house. Besides housing, you will get 6 weeks paid vacation vs. 2-3 weeks in the US, shorter work weeks, long maternity leave, if your sick with a cold you can take a week off no questions ask, very affordable or free university education and so on.
I wont deny your statements about there being both extreme poverty and wealth in the USA but I disagree with things like "maternity leave and Paid Vacation"

These are both examples of people equating a state minimum with the reality. There is no state minimum vacation days, or Maternity/Paternity leave and any number of benefits.

But the reality is very few middle class even low jobs outside of part time work offer no vacation nor leave because the labor market demands it as part of the compensation. In the USA thats left to the population either individually or as part of a labor union to negotiate with their private employer.

As a 17 year old mail room employee working under 40 hrs I had vacation and sick time of 2-3 weeks at 18 I qualified for full health and retirement benefits. This was a job that paid 11 bucks an hour.

A few years ago I has 7 paid weeks of vacation. 7! and Now I have no vacation, does that mean I cant take vacation? No, I can take as the job allows I am expected to preform and be available but I can take personal time too as needed.

Despite what the laws might say the reality on the ground is very different.