View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Have you been to center city? Packed with people all the time, haven't been to Japan but I can't imagine the disparity is as large as you are saying

That said, I'm against public advertisement personally
The disparity is actually this big. When OOH gets priced in Tokyo, we use a station metric translated as "Total Footprints" over a 24 hour work day cycle. The three main displays at Shibuya Crossing are priced on a "Total Footprints" value of 4.45 million people.

Shibuya Station has: 2.8 million daily unique rail riders, 1.1 million daily unique bus riders, and another 550,000 "unattached" pedestrians. The vast majority of these people pass through the Crossing, as this is facing most of the office space surrounding the station.

Does Center City see about four and a half million pedestrians every work day? I would imagine at its best, the value is under 10% of Shibs' numbers.

But mhays' point stands regarding visual competition: Center City advertisers can find piece of mind knowing their creatives are the only thing around, and if Catalyst goes with a typical digital display pricing scheme (CPM rates as opposed to a flat period buy), they can position this for the time being as 100% captive impressions. That's a rare product these days. Unheard of in Tokyo.