View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:10 AM

Apologies if this is long, but I'm trying to put together all the problems & solutions in one post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-cal-bear View Post

What's happening here is that when the image pieces are linked one after another, the browser fits as many as it can on one line. If you have a wider monitor it may fit, for example, 3 photos on the first line instead of the 2 that it should. So a piece that should be the start of the second row is instead placed at the end of the first row. If you zoom in, the pictures get larger and that may shift the errant picture piece back down to the next row where it should be.

Experimenting just now.
USC's viewer breaks the image up into pieces if you zoom in. The farther you zoom, the more pieces it uses. Their viewer keeps the pieces together properly when viewing on their own site, but you can view and hotlink those pieces individually, which is what is being done here by some posters. Since they are separate photos, alignment is determined by the browser and the text formatting of the links.

There are 2 ways to get the whole photo reasonably large in one image.

1. You can use the 'print' link as Michael Ryerson has posted, and save the image brought up into the print screen.
2. You can use the 'download' link, which provides multiple sizes and the largest one seems to be bigger than the one provided in the 'print' link.

Both of these options require the poster to re-host the downloaded image on their own photo hosting site.
But, neither of these options will give you the largest version of the photo that's viewable at USC's site.

In order to get the biggest possible image, AND have it all together in one file, you have to use the USC viewer to move around on the image, download each individual piece, and then use another program to stitch these pieces back together, save as one file then upload to your own hosting. I did this for part of a photo of the Angels Flight upper station, to have a very close view. It was a gigantic pain.

The largest 'download' link on USC's site seems to be more than large enough for any whole pictures that will be posted to the thread, and I think anyone posting a whole picture should download and then re-host, but individual pieces can be very interesting to look at for detail. Too many in one post though, and they come across as a jumble and become confusing, at least to me.