View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
I grew up in the Silverlake area on the hill to the right of the photo. The construction is the overpass of which will be Silverlake Blvd., this is looking west toward Hollywood. The building below the hill is still there, it housed the Elite Market and upstairs was the Club Zarape. There are typical , for the area, stairs behind the building going up to Westerly Terrace. The precarious apartment perched on the hill is still there also, I always thought it would be relocated to the bottom someday by earthquake.
One of the owners of the Club Zarape was gunned down in front of his home on Westerly Terr. in the early 50's.
[IMG][/IMG]

Photo from Silverlake.org
Hollywood, this photo is at a place I know very well. I used to ride the Red Car past here every day on my way to Thomas Star King Jr. High from my home on Scott Ave. near Elysian Park. Of course that was c. 1954 long after the overpass was completed. I remember a small meat market just beyond the market on the right maybe even directly under the apartment clinging to the side of the cut. My dad would go there to buy horse meat to feed our cat. Also there was a place right about there that processed and sold turkeys at Thanksgiving time. I remember going there c. 1947 with my mom and grandmother and while they were making their choice I watched a worker stripping the feathers off a bird and removing some of the pin-feathers. I don’t remember whether she had to cut off the head but since the bird was already dead, I’d bet she did. When we got home my grandmother settled into the task of removing the rest of the pin-feathers. Haha – not going to happen today when all we have to do is buy a Butter Ball! or just call in a buy a complete dinner from Von's.