View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 1:57 AM

Deranged L.A. Crimes

Today I stumbled across some info about the Louise Springer murder, and started searching around for any suitable-for-posting crime scene photos, or house then and now photos, or any images that were particularly noirish (there isn't much out there it seems, unlike some of the other notorious cases, which is probably why there wasn't already much here in this thread).

I did find in my searching Joan Renner's Deranged L.A. Crimes blog, which has some pretty interesting LA noir info. I guess she started her blog after becoming obsessed with Aggie Underwood’s work. According to her self-published profile there:
Quote:
Joan Renner is a writer, lecturer, and a social historian with an expertise in historic Los Angeles crime.

She has appeared in the ID Discovery Channel program “Deadly Women”, and in 2013 will appear in three episodes of “Evil Twins”, also on ID Discovery. Joan has appeared in a segment on film noir for the Turner Classic Movie series “Film Fanatics”.

Joan is an archivist at the Los Angeles Police Museum and was an assistant curator for a limited run exhibit based upon the LAPD’s continuing investigation of the 1947 unsolved murder of Elizabeth Short, aka The Black Dahlia”. She is currently editing a book of crime scene photos for the LAPM which will feature narrative by author James Ellroy. The working title of the book is “LAPD ’53″.
So I wondered if anyone here knows much more about Joan or has spent any time reading her blog, or has any other opinions or info (the other name that comes up all over in the Springer search is Steve Hodel, but I'm familiar with his reputation already )