View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 9:21 PM
You can call me David

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
The thought of this thread "Not Surviving" truly worries me. Is there any way to have a backup that duplicates everything in case Skyscraper goes belly up or someone feels like deleting things out of spite? As I've said, this is a major resource for me in my 3D historical models of the city so please let's not limit anyone. I'd rather say keep posts to a single subject and when quoting posts, don't copy an entire long bunch of pictures, just the one that you're talking about. I'm currently working at the site of the old Carthay Circle Theater and just walked over to shoot the intersection of Wilshire and San Vicente to compare to one of Bif's posts last week. Everyone, please don't delete anything from this thread.
I don't think e_r is afraid of the thread literally vanishing, I think the concern is about it becoming diluted -- just a big pile of photos -- if the outstanding research, narratives and dialogue that we have come to expect, diminish.

As I mentioned recently (and maybe this was lost in the general business also) I've been maintaining an archive of the whole thread, just in case. I have saved everything up to page 380 or so, and update it every few weeks to stay caught up. My main worry was and is that skyscraperpages.com might pull the plug one day. If this site vanished, I have no idea how the thread might be resurrected, but there must be some way to do it.

And Kevin, I want to add that I totally agree with your comment "keep posts to a single subject and when quoting posts, don't copy an entire long bunch of pictures, just the one that you're talking about." PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. It's not THAT hard to edit out the extra photos, it just takes a little more time. The Preview function is your friend. If everyone follows this guideline, thread clutter will be greatly reduced and each page of the thread will offer more bang for the buck. If you are confused about post editing ask here and I'm sure someone will help. Or PM me.

While we're on the subject of "house keeping" I have a general question for all -- in general, what's a good maximum pixel width for photos? I have kind of settled on 1200 pixels wide because that size is about average of what other posters go with, displays on my PC and laptop without scrolling, while still offering good detail. YMMV, of course. In general, what size do YOU think is good? (Of course, much larger images are necessary at times, like for detailed maps, graphics, and hi-def "Shorpy" type photos. And the opposite is sometimes the case -- low res and small images just look bad when enlarged, and are better kept small.)

Thanks all, Noir on!

Last edited by 3940dxer; Jun 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM.