View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 5:49 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
For some reason duplexes are rare across the greater Houston area but fairly common in other parts of the state. I'm not sure why.

It's interesting someone from Buffalo would point this out. I just kind of noticed it a few weeks ago when I was casually searching online home listings to see how much owning a duplex would cost and found that lo and behold, there weren't any. In College Station they are absolutely everywhere and same with the Killeen-Fort Hood area. Little towns seem to have a good number of them too, I think they fill the role of affordable rental housing in places too small to justify a big suburban style apartment complex with hundreds of units.

A duplex in Texas is usually one story and has about the same overall footprint as a typical 4-bedroom house and costs about the same, but instead it's split down the middle into two apartment-sized units that have one or two bedrooms. There are also four-plexes too which are two story, but that means two of the units don't get a yard.

This is an interesting option if you are single but want to be a property owner and want to live in a detached dwelling with a private fenced yard in a suburban setting, but you don't need an entire house. Secondly, you can then be a secret landlord by renting out the other half through a property management company.

You do see semi-detached full-sized houses with 3 or 4 bedrooms and a 2 car garage that are connected to the house next door on one side but not the other in places like the DFW metroplex but I never saw the point of those.

Wait, is a Duplex in the US just two houses sharing a party wall. Ie. this:

https://www.tepilo.com/blog/2014/09/...detached-house

As opposed to two units stacked vertically?

https://urbanrealtytoronto.com/downt...plex-for-sale/

If so that definitely doesn't count as multi-family!