View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I thought someone might have wagered a guess on my 'mystery' photo below.

...or for that matter, comment on the amazingly rare Bristol Pier Prom photograph from 1913! -but not one hint of any interest from anyone.
Please don't assume that a lack of reply on my part equals a lack of searching or interest. It just means that I haven't found anything yet!

----------------

I think this is Julius Shulman's last Coffee Dan's photoset, and I'm going to need some help with its location. Sadly, there's only a single image in "Job 2552: Roland Russell, Coffee Dan's (Azusa, Calif.), 1958".

Getty Research Institute

All I've got to go on is Azusa, and so far I've only found clues to the exact address. This advert from the December 19, 1957 edition of the Covina Argus uses Coffee Dan's as a landmark, which would suggest a location on E Alosta. I don't know if E Alosta got renumbered at some point, but 18528 seems too large for an address in Azusa. Regarding the advert, I'm not sure how 13- and 14-year-olds count as "subteens". I assume that the store was named after the famous Petticoat Lane Market in London.

www.newspapers.com

On the Vintage Los Angeles Facebook page, there's a copy of Julius Shulman's picture of Coffee Dan's on Wilshire (seen here a couple of days ago). In the comments underneath, I found these two references to Coffee Dan's in Azusa:
Jayson Wall I remember going to Coffee Dan's in Azusa back in the early 70's with my parents---and across the street was a Sambos!

Norma Meshew We went to Coffee Dan's in Azusa and we had our first Chef Salad there in 1959. It was on the corner of Citrus and Foothill/Route 66.
The December 15, 1977 edition of Progress Bulletin also places a branch of Sambo's at Citrus and Alosta.

www.newspapers.com

My only problem with this location is that I can't make out any of the buildings from the Shulman picture in the views at Historic Aerials. The one below is from 1964 (the first after the 1958 date of the Shulman picture). The proximity of the mountains in the Shulman picture would suggest that, if this is the correct location, we'd be looking at the north side of E Alosta Avenue. To me, the mountains look much closer in the Shulman picture compared to when I use GSV, but we've seem optical illusions like this many times before.

Historic Aerials

Here's how the intersection looks today, complete with its current selection of restaurants.

Google Maps