View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2011, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Finally dug up a copy of Shockproof -- it's a nifty little noir. Nifty for its locations, for our purposes. The Fullerian noiritude of its script was famously soft-sudded by Helen Deutsch on studio insistence. (As a picture, some like it, some don't.)

Anyway, thought I'd toss out some screen grabs. (And, for the record, that Antlers Hotel image is from the 1948 Ida Lupinofest Road House.)

Early on we go to our heroine's new digs -- well, she's really the antagonist, but let's not split hairs -- and where is it?

It's 515 West Second! Which we remember of course from our visit with George Mann:

http://www.onbunkerhill.org/georgemann

Here, Patricia Knight exits 515 -- known as the Koster House because Mr & Mrs. John Koster moved into their new home there in July, 1894 --

Up rolls CW --

-- the camera pans over a bit and a second ago you saw the Argyle to the left. There's the Fashion League Bldg, and the Astor, the Northern and Claridge, and the Mission...

Lest we forget the shot of them filming this scene, as found on the Daily Mirror:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thed...-photo-16.html -- which was January 3, '49. The picture was released January 25. Quick turnaround on these babies!

Some other neat stuff -- CW and PK pick up CW's little brothers at the end of Court Street:

And CW's extended family live above the Hill St tunnel...

Of course one of the major stars is the Bradbury:

And here's a funny thing...here's CW strolling down a hall,

and in one seamless shot he cruises right on into an office.

That back tilted wall looks a little...off, doesn't it? That's because it's a fake. The offices are quite shallow you'll note because apparently they could use the Bradbury and its offices but needed, after all, to control the light between setups. Quite clever. Of course, the Bradbury doesn't have windows like that at all; they remind one of the top fenestration of the Law Building. Aaaaand, if they were in the Law Building, looking south, you'd have the State Building on yer right, and the Hall of Records on your left.

Instead, the vista out their window could only, of course, been taken from City Hall.

And everyone has the same view out of their window, which is pretty handy.

I'm thinking of having one installed outside my bedroom window...maybe it could rotate...I could wake to a new scene of Old LA every day...