View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 2:29 AM

Thanks Godzilla, I hadn't seen most of these pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I had a slight reservation about the accompanying identification, but I am unfamiliar with the area. On the off-chance that the LAPL identification is somewhat correct, were there any outdoor boxing venues in the Santa Clarita area in the '20s-'30s?
I am 100% certain the LAPL ID on the ariel view is incorrect. The Newhall/Saugus area was very rural at that time. If you were going to hold an exhibition boxing match Bonelli Stadium would have been the logical venue. I agree with MichaelRyerson this looks like a small baseball stadium with temporary seating, but I don't know where.
Quote:
The pictured venue has the earmarks of permanency, but maybe it was erected for a few events and dismantled. Curiously, at least one source links Dempsey with Saugus, so perhaps this is more than just wishful thinking? http://www.katrinadoerner.com/watson.htm

http://www.katrinadoerner.com/watson.htm
In street view in front of Bonelli Stadium I don't see any ridge lines that match this pic. The biggest problem I have with the above pic is almost everyone is wearing a hat and not one is a cowboy hat. Remember this stadium was built for rodeos. After reviewing the rodeo pic that started this discussion I don't see many cowboy hats in that crowd either.

Quote:
Circa '37
Lapl
This is looking north on what used to be called San Fernando Road at Saugus. You are looking at probably 50% of the entire town. The RR crossing, now defunct, ran to Ventura. The main line, running up the right, still runs to Palmdale, Tehachapi, Bakersfield...

Quote:
Nearby Newhall, circa 1950
cdlib.org
This view is looking south on what used to be called San Fernando Road in Newhall. We are looking at probably 50% of the entire town. In the Upper right you can see William S. Hart's ranch. A little further to the right (off frame) Bugsy Siegel had a place on Arcadia St.

Quote:
Circa 1930
cdlib.org
There is a large dose of artistic license in this post card. I can't figure out if this is north or south of the pass. The first gold in California was discovered in Placerita Canyon just north of the pass. Later there were small quantities found in Elsmere Canyon by the Chinese laborers that dug the RR tunnel.

Last edited by procab; Mar 7, 2013 at 2:40 AM.