View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
You're right, Scott--I agree that this really has become an incredible resource, random, entertaining, and comprehensive all at the same time. There really is more here than in most books on the city, and from so many angles. As I look around online for L.A.-related information, I'm amazed by the number of times I've seen reference to the forum. I really have no idea what archiving a website would mean, or how it could be done. Anybody? We must save our own L.A. artifact! To lose it would be like losing Bunker Hill all over again! Well, allright, that might be a teensy bit of an exaggeration. But not much!
It could be archived by taking screen captures of each page, and then assembling those into a PDF file. It's over a hundred pages, but one person with a fast net connection could do it in only a few hours.

One problem in creating an archive now, though, is that a significant amount of content from earlier in the thread is already gone, mostly due to broken image hotlinks. In some posts, only the text and/or picture captions remain.

It might be worthwhile if some of us could go back and review our old posts and make sure everything that needs to be seen is actually still see-able.

After we get that content back, though, then it really wouldn't be too difficult to archive the thread as described previously.

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 7:47 PM.