View Single Post
Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:49 PM
ColoRADo

The notion that Denver doesn't have as active of a following as other cities, is entirely false. The MW subforum is currently the most active (USA) with some 140k posts. That's 30k higher than the next subforum (Pacific West). Given that there are basically three main cities in the MW subforum, Denver/Colorado probably accounts for 30-40% of that total. Quick math says that Denver/Colorado, conservatively, has some 30-40k posts. For reference, Portland, one of the more active Local subforums, has roughtly 40k posts.

That's only one measure of activity. Another is "viewers". Currently, the MW subforum has 112 active viewers, the most in the USA subforum. The next highest total is Pacific West (notice a theme) with 71 active viewers. Portland, one of the more active local subforums, has 45 active viewers right now. We can't break out viewers at the MW city scale, but a quick look at active "members" present in the MW subforum (25 total), Denver/Colorado has about 10 (40%). So, it may be safe to assume that 40% of the active viewers are Denver/Colorado - 45 active viewers. Same as Portland.

That being said, I'm not married to the notion that we HAVE to split off. I am, however, convinced that we have to do a better job of organizing and facilitating discussion. Whether that's here in the MW or in our own subforum, I don't care.

I know, especially in the message board world, that change is difficult. Shit, when we moved to this new version of Bulletin (or whatever it was) people almost lost their minds just from the avatar moving from center-left to top-left in the post.