View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 5:37 PM

For me, New York City's city hall is the best. Sure it's a little small for a city of its size, but it's elegant, well-proportioned, and perfectly sited for that city. I also really like Los Angeles' city hall. It is unique, handsome and powerful looking. But they really cocked up it's surroundings with a mishmash of mediocre post-WWII buildings. Buffalo NY also has a great art deco city hall.

Don't kill me but I have to agree with those saying Philadelphia's city hall is somewhat overrated. It's elaborate for sure, but it's just too ill-proportioned. Oddly, I think the same thing about San Francisco's city hall because the drum/dome is just a little too large for the wings. SF's Civic Center has great collection of Beaux Arts buildings but it has never really come together, largely because the surrounding streets are too wide and that 1960's era plaza. If they narrowed or closed the surrounding streets, used cleaver landscaping and added cafes/entertainment it could live up to it's potential. Likewise, they could really improve Boston's city hall if they tried. The problem might be thinking city halls/plaza can't also be mix-use spaces? Dallas' city hall by comparison is more bland and corporate. But none of these compare to New Orleans' WTF? city hall. Such a great city surely deserves better!