View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:25 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
Regarding the 1968 report, I'm amazed with the foresight they had back then and more so that we're still trying to get some of the things that were addressed back then completed. Damn suburbia...
I don't think it was suburbia as much as it was the local land owners of the day and everyone jockeying for their small piece of the land pie and being blind or indifferent to the bigger picture. Thus my trip to the Boise Library and the Idaho History Archives. It's quite complicated and involves a lot of players.

I offer up this bare bones synopsis. If I've made mistakes, forgive me. I will correct them when and if someone points them out to me.

First, the gravel pit ponds. That area was not in Boise City limits until annexation by city council in 1971. I believe it was 1971, that the City of Boise wanted to annex the gravel pits and apply new open space zoning. This was no doubt influenced by the 1968 Greenbelt Master Plan that I've already posted. I believe there was a compromise with the Quinn's. The Quinn's were given the light industrial zoning they wanted. They argued the proposed (by nearly everyone) open space zoning would put them out of business. That's probably true.

Anyway, the Quinn's were allowed to continue to operate for many years. I guess they remembered the favor and that's why they donated their portion of Esther Simplot park to the City all these years later.

And second; to the north, IDOT, State Parks and Rec (Veterans State Park) and the Old Soldier's Home preservation advocates (where are they now?) played a part in preventing any "Shoreline Boulevard" (aka the 30th St Extension). This part of the story is very complicated and requires much more research. The Statesman, then as now, is short on details.

Last edited by boisecynic; Apr 20, 2008 at 7:00 PM.