View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 6:58 AM

Whitley Heights

The 1924 development had a sign, on a smaller scale than "Hollywoodland":

hollywoodhillshomes

1907. Whitley Heights before it was Whitley Heights:

hollywoodphotographs (altered)

Another thing I found interesting in googling Whitley Heights is I found out where Laughlin Park got its exceedingly ugly gates (the way they open is the ugliest thing about them).

After a ten-year city approval process, Whitley Heights installed seven gates in the early 90s (costing about $350K altogether and were promptly and successfully sued by neighboring residents. LAFD was none to happy with the gates either.

Anyway Laughlin Park bought some of the rejected gates. They're a real eyesore. There used to be lovely, discreet, little painted-wood signs that said, "Private Drive" at the Laughlin Park entrances, which I found sort of classy.

Dozens of neighborhoods have applied to the city to privatize public streets, usually citing high crime and heavy traffic as the excuse. However, the agitating neighborhoods are, of course, the low-crime, low-traffic ones. An instant effect on real estate prices seems to be the real reason. Folks want to be able to say their home is in a "gated community" when it comes time to sell.

Thx NCD for the added info