View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
In connection with recent focus on the mid-city area and Vineyard Junction, HossC posted some wonderful photos of the Rimpau loop here>http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ostcount=21088 I always thought of the area as a misbegotten confluence of rough roads, doubtlessly due to the poorly paved-over tracks. One imagines that nearby tire sales/repairs and wheel alignments were very profitable I was also fascinated by the Sears which took advantage of the area's topography to hide what may have been at least four different levels. In the few times I visited the store, one or more of the escalators were being repaired or maintained. The exposed escalators' inner-workings created a stir among many kids who blocked the area by standing around to view the greasy attraction. (Wouldn't be surprised if the kids didn't add to the need for repairs.)

Do images of the Pico-Sears construction exist? Can't help but wonder if some of the construction materials observed in earlier pictures were for shoring up the surrounding adobe although it is more likely the materials were railroad related.

Any history regarding the name "Vineyard" Junction? Was it aspirational? Could the area have resembled a tiered vineyard? Or was any of the area ever devoted to commercial agriculture?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vQeF3y8NWV...ars%2BPico.jpg
Tourmaline,

I remember those rough roads especially along Pico Boulevard. Who am I kidding? I still know them since I live there (smile). However, with teh building of Midtown Crossing, they did remove the few tracks that remained and the streets are much more smoother these days. It's a little sad historically, but my car's happy.

Sears Pico is a wonderful subject. I remember that store mostly in its 1970's to close configuration. I know those old OTIS Ecsalators that criss crossed every level of the store. They always worked for the most part and rolled as smooth as butter for the most part. When they did crack it open, it was like the guts of a giant beast. It was a lot of fun to watch. I recall one time, I think mostly ALL of the escalators were out and, for some reason which I cannot recall, everyone had to enter the store from the roof parking level. Sears employees shuffeled us through some creepy areas not otherwise seen, but it got us in the store.

I recall reading that Sears Pico was actually a store where they were testing out a whole new floorplan. If it was a success (and it was), the floorplan would be instituted in its other new stores. That made Sears Pico a very worth landmark. Architecturally, the store was built into the existing hillside and it's flowing automible design (which sported three different levels of parking) was "futurama" for its time. There was a guy who lived over in that area until about 10 years ago. He had a BUNCH of photos I used in a historical piece I did back in 2006 or 2007 of Sears Pico and the area. He didn't even have construction photos. If they exists, I'd like to see them as well. I can tell you that a small part of the building's foundation is still in place and supports the new Lowes/Midtown Crossing building. I had always hoped they would find a way to repurpose the old Sears Building, but they wanted to alter the footprint to fit modern styling and needs so one day I looked up and it was gone. I still remember the green neon signs that read "Sears" all over the building especially the one that used to tower over Pico Boulevard. I am surprised that sign was not original to building. In the pictures you guys have posted from 1939-1940, that sign is NOT there at all.

The name Vineyard Junction DID point to the old Vineyard that was in the area. Mitzi spoke of it when we talked about the bridge. I'll have to go back and look at the footage as I may have cut any mention of it when editing. That vineyard was owned by a big name and I can't recall. I'll try to find the details.