View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:40 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimol742 View Post
I have to say I would never move to the west coast because of this issue. It’s crazy to me how people are willing to pay so much money to live next to homeless tent camps. I was in LA this summer and it’s absolutely disgusting. Not to mention all the crazies walking around Harassing pedestrians. Just came back from Miami and I have to say it was pleasantly surprised by how few homeless I saw.

Let’s hope this administration provides some sort of mental health solution for these folks. These people shouldn’t be on the streets. They should be in mental facilities.

Yeah, I would have to agree 100%. I love this State for its natural beauty and literally every possible type of climate. I don’t mind paying higher taxes in order to receive better services, whether it be rail, clean streets, paved highways and roads and of course reliable utilities. But we don’t have those things here in California commensurate to the amount of taxes we pay. The public schools in California are pathetic (performance wise). The homeless situation here though is straight up third world or worse. I’m not sure the State of California has ever calculated the environmental impact of homelessness, but here in Sacramento we have the American River bike trail that (in addition to the central city) has been overrun with homeless and tons of trash due to the encampments. The American River is often contaminated with E. Coli. bacteria from human feces. We like to call ourselves liberal in California (I won’t get into ‘progressive’ because I think that adjective has been coopted). But if we were truly liberal, we wouldn’t tolerate people with mental health and drug addictions to fend for themselves. We need to help those who want help getting off the streets and into safe, clean housing; provide for inpatient rehabilitation for those with substance abuse issues who want to quit, and a drastic increase in mental health beds for those who lack the mental and emotional capacity to make decisions for themselves.

I’ve moved a few times the past ten years from Sacramento to Chicago, up to Seattle and back to Sacramento. Seattle and Sacramento are just gross now. I love the company I work for which is the only reason I will stay in Sacramento (for now). But I’m under no illusions that anything will change in California. The once ‘golden state’ is mostly a myth now.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Feb 23, 2021 at 3:20 PM.