View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
That image is futuristically cool. Isn't something like this in Batman Begins?
Realistically the height could be cut in half though. But yeah it would be sort of interesting to have a full on monorail built out all across the city. Sort of like a fully above ground subway network. Even better, MAGLEV. Subways are so cavernous and depressing. I'd much prefer commuting while taking in scenic views.
I'm sure none of us will ever see this however. At least not in our lifetimes. Maybe our kids'?
Remember that just because something looks pretty and futuristic doesn't make it the best option. Monorails are notoriously more expensive than rail lines due to a number of factors including the added suspension costs, and not just to build but the actual maintaining is more expensive as well leading to much higher ticket costs which often make it more of a novelty rather than useful affordable commuter transport. I lived in Sydney AUS right as they were closing the monorail system, no one I knew would ever take it because it was 4 times more expensive than taking the rail lines.