View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 9:33 PM
somewhere in-between

^ I quite like that Mesa one!

Michigan's state flag is pretty bad. As a kid, I used to like it because I thought it was cool how the elk and moose stood on their hind legs, facing each other. But it's just too busy. It is notable that the man in the seal is holding a rifle-type gun in his left hand. I think that's the only state to depict something like that, although you would never know by glancing at it, because it's so small in the context of what else is going on. I do see our state flag flying occasionally at private residences, but nowhere near the frequency of other states already mentioned on here -

Source: Wikimedia

Kalamazoo's flag is just as uninspiring as Michigan's. I'm sure this is the case with most small cities. It has some smoke stacks, which are... nice? I can instantly recognize Chicago's flag, but if not for the name emblazoned on it, I would never be able to pick out Kalamazoo's from a lineup of other similar flags. I much prefer the proposal / idea someone else envisioned -

Kalamazoo - Current -

Source: crwflags.com

Kalamazoo - Vision -

Source: reddit

Grand Rapids has a newer banner / logo, which it uses more often than its official flag, and I hate it. Maybe it's an improvement over the official flag, but it looks like Pacman with lipstick. The blue squiggle is the river, the yellow circle is the sun, and the lipstick is the red Calder "La Grande Vitesse" sculpture (i.e. the rapids) -

Grand Rapids - Banner -

Source: flags-unlimited

Grand Rapids - Official Flag -

Source: crwflags.com

Last edited by deja vu; Apr 8, 2021 at 11:51 PM.