View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 8:11 PM

Good point about the differences between the 2 neighborhoods, Spocket. PD likely would be in the same situation today with or without the Disraeli.

I can't help but think, though, that we might be missing a few lessons learned from the countless highways that have bisected existing neighborhoods across North America. I know the trail has been planned since the 60s, but no matter how it's put, building a highway blocks from 3 major schools that hundreds of kids walk/bike to every day is concerning. Building it below grade helped mitigate this - I can see why residents are a bit miffed now.

All that being said, when looking at Winnipeg's big picture, with the number of large scale capital projects on the horizon with little to no money to complete them, I question the judgement of building this highway now. Me thinks putting this capital into rapid transit, or a proper trucking transport system, or even expanded convention center would currently be a better return of investment for the city in terms of growth rather than another suburban commuter highway.