View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 12:33 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I broadly hate the practice of moving downtown bus terminals to less prominent locations, but I think this may be a rare instance where it's OK. Those streets are pretty tight, buses are loud, and the new station is only a block away.
The ART station is also getting ready for a big upgrade that should begin construction sometime soon, for what it's worth.

Quote:
Confederate Colonel Zebulon Vance. He does, admittedly, seem to be on the not-as-bad end of the Confederate veterans spectrum.
Well, naturally, but that monument is just to him. There are two actual "To our Confederate dead and the noble cause, blah blah blah..." general Confederate monuments. One is down by the courthouse, and the other is in a little cemetery by the hospital. And you're right about him being not as bad... He loathed black people with a virulent passion, but was a-okay with Jews. By the standards of the time he was a frothing liberal with views like that.

Fun fact: The Vance Birthplace is a state park north of town and visitors are usually surprised, and often upset, to learn that the Vance family owned eighteen slaves and that the farm was a pig farm. Slavery in the mountains isn't much spoken of. People also have a hard time remembering that slavery infected all aspects of agricultural life in the South, not just the cotton plantations.

Funner fact: My husband, who is black, got a contract to make all the soap for sale in the Vance Birthplace gift shop a couple of years back.

Quote:
Nice. We never made it down to the river, nor west of it at all. We did go through South Slope lots of times, and I see the potential.
Did you happen to go down the street where the entire pavement was painted with butterflies? It was a neighborhood experiment, designed to see if it would calm and slow traffic.

It did.

Source.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947