View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Paradise Leased

We've seen Dempsey here before, of course, although I see that quite a few pictures in some posts are missing now. Anyway, I was reminded of the house above, once at 2415 S Western Ave--Dempsey lived here in the early '20s before moving to Los Feliz ca. 1925. (That house was built by the recently mentioned Harley Earl and is at 2047 Laughlin Park Drive, formerly 5254 Los Feliz Blvd.) Steve Vaught has more on Dempsey's domestic arrangements at Paradise Leased. I'm not sure how he came to be associated with it, but one place Dempsey didn't live, despite much insistence on the web that he did, is 3741 West 27th Street--despite Dempsey's lack of presence there, its story is interesting:

http://losangeleshistory.blogspot.co...-also-see.html

I have said for years that given sufficient passage of time history will eventually appear as the writers either think it was or thought it should be and pass it off as fact. The Dempsey residence story appears to be one of those recitations. One of the more interesting probably non facts about the house in Los Faliz has to do with the alleged business that in 1925 Dempsey moved into the Harley Earl house; which might have been a bit of a shock to Harley who may have still resided there given in 1925 Harley was still in the employ of broadcaster and Cadillac Dealer Don Lee who had purchased the Earl Coach Works in 1919. Harley Earl did not make his move to Detroit until 1927 although retained in 1926 to redesign the La Salle for GM. So how about a bit of sleuth work by someone to determine if Harley Earl was shown as owner of the house in question after 1925.

GW you're a car fan and a really good digger of obscure facts, want to give it a go?