View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 6:16 AM

Kuruvungna/1932 Olympic Huts/Sam Cooke/Chinatown/Union Station/3rd & Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
wow,thats all i have to say,i wouldn't be surprised though.and as far as the bungalow building i heard that one of them towards the "H" areas was part of some fort near the coast,i never heard about the olympics being involved.I do know the building in question was moved a few years ago.
I think that ploy was probably a bridge too far and may have cinched it for the Indians. All's well that ends well (not that it's over). What "fort near the coast"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Perhaps it was one of these...but that would have to be some pretty tough cardboard to last 80 years.
Apparently there's a few still about (I know the one on Olvera St).
The hut at Uni is the right size, not that that proves anything:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...&pg=6764,64248

http://www.dctkd.org

Were the huts actually built in different styles? I always thought they were all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
Since its the 48th anniversary of his killing and we are in the area of his house,I thought id might post the house where Sam Cooke lived,its on a very narrow street called Ames and is right down the way from JMHS.
Is the house at 2408 Ames gone or remodeled? I couldn't find it :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
This billboard is curious. It obviously did not work out. I wonder what streets were on that diagram.

lapl
Wow, this one really tore me. The destruction of Chinatown and its Disneyfied
replacement was far from our finest hour, but I love Union Station beyond all reason.
It's worth traveling by train just to experience Union Station's "Welcome home" embrace:

cruisemaven

Five "Chop Suey" signs plus Union Station, 1937:

LAT

P.S.
Can anyone solve this for me? The 1883 gothic-style church at the NE corner of 3rd and Hill, which appears in so many photos, was supposed to have been moved to 925 S Flower in 1900 to make way for the new Conservative Life Building (both sites are now vacant). It remained there, as far as I know, until 1926, but I cannot locate a photo of it at the Flower St site (there were eight or nine churches tightly grouped in that area). It was supposed to have been remodeled after the move. I'm curious to see it.

usc digital archive

usc digital archive

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 3, 2015 at 3:22 PM. Reason: add P.S.