View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
"you're thinking of federal military spending, nothing to do with the state, and you forgot the catalyst for silicon valley was the private university of Stanford, again not state funded"

Of course I meant military = Federal, that was the spark. I never meant CA had it's own military. Ironically Detroit lost all that aerospace to CA. Stanford's prowess is rooted in DoD and military research, you can look it up. And to get back on topic, the state already has UIC and other assets in place in the region, there is no need for, no money for and frankly no excitement for another wasteful university project, especially one as vapid as this OMA proposal. I'll give NU credit for their new BioLabs building, it's fairly conventional and serves a purpose well, they didnt feel the need to go out find a starchitect to design them some convoluted Amazon pod knock off.

I don't really understand the point you are trying to make. You note that innovation was spurred in California by a mix of (federal) government investment and university investment, in a high tax state. Somehow that is an argument against this project, which is (state) government investment and university investment. Is it just the building? Or you don't think our state's major public research institution investing in its (tech, finance, business) hub makes sense?