View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
I don't agree with this statement.
I know it was the case. Based on specific social media comments and individuals.

Was that the reason everyone voted against it, no, of course not. But merely by participating in this thread you're more clued in on the process and subject matter than 95-99% of voters.

Do you think the average voter in the street in South Austin knows about potential ridership numbers of G/L vs. Red River? Or cares about the congestion level of a street they never use?

When they look at a plan, what they ask is :

Can I ride it

OR

Can everyone in front of me on the road ride it, and get out of my way.

Quote:
In my opinion and in speaking to others at the time, the plan failed because it was a bad plan.
It wasn't a bad plan. It was a good plan. Though some people with money in the game managed to convince people otherwise.

Quote:
Where's the group of business leaders that spoke up after the vote saying we need to bite the bullet and start thinking big, subway big? I hope they are still out there and working on a strategy. We are not a small city any longer and our leaders (and many citizens) need to stop pretending we are. Give Austin voters a good plan, one that can excite and energize us, and show us a real buildout plan, and I believe we can get it done.
And this is why Austin is doomed.

Sure, everyone says : Give us the big, huge, transformative plan.

Then when the voters see the pricetag, it goes down in flames. You want to ask Austin voters to triple(or more) their taxes?

All those business leaders, when their taxes triple, they're going to stay in Austin and pay them? No, they're going to pull a Dell and jump over to some sweatheart deal in Round Rock or Pflugerville.