View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snix View Post
I am researching an artist named Leonard Del Sonno AKA Leonardo Del Sonno who had a studio at 3319 Sunset in Silver Lake starting in 1958. I found someone by the same name on findagrave who died in 1981 but could not locate an obit on Del Sonno.
He did these outlandish chalkware table lamps, but had some other wild decor on display in his shop window. Any leads would be appreciated. Thank you.
I couldn't find an obituary either, Snix, but here are some random facts I uncovered:

After poking around Ancestry.com, I find there is a Leonardo Del Sonno who left his hometown of Osara di Puglia, Italy,
to travel to Naples where on September 18, 1920, he sailed on the SS Canada and arrived in New York (Ellis Island)
on October 4 with $16 in his pocket. He is listed as a 15-year-old peasant who spoke Italian (duh), could read and write,
and was on his way to Philadelphia, where his brother Pasquale lived at 810 Montrose Street. His health condition was listed
as "Good," and he was not a polygamist or anarchist (yes, those questions are on the form).

There is a Leonard Del Sonno living at 712 League Street in Philadelphia on February 16, 1942, according to his draft registration.
Birthdate is May 18, 1904, and his contact person at the same address is Mrs. Jean Del Sonno (not his mother). He works as
a painter for Angelo Guirico at 330 Noble Street in Philadelphia. He has a scar on his right cheek and is 5'6", 135 lbs.

Leonard married the former Josephine Tierno on July 2, 1946, but the location is not listed other than somewhere in
California. In 1950, he and Josephine are registered to vote at 1308 Glendale Blvd. in Los Angeles. By 1956-58, they lived
at 1330-1/2 Allesandro Street.

The August 4, 1961, The Citizen News shows Leonard owed delinquent assessments of $8.88 on each of two parcels
(Lots 22 and 23, Tract 5036) in the Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard Lighting District. If he didn't pay
by September 5, his properties would be sold. Perhaps the building in your 1973 photo sat on those two lots?

There is a Josephine Delsonno (b. Feb 18 1916) who died in Delaware County, PA, on August 26, 2003. Her Philly.com
obituary on August 28 describes her as "beloved wife of the late Leonard."

Leonard does appear to have passed on April 7, 1981, in Los Angeles zip code 90026.

Does any of that help? I know none of it is lamp-related . . . .