View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:23 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
It's funny because this is really the near-consensus opinion (that Edmonton has cooler neighbourhoods, basically) but I've always felt the opposite. Edmonton's got Whyte Ave/Strathcona and then, what else? Whereas Calgary has all those areas you mention. Still a pretty small collection of urban areas, but still. There seem to be more pedestrian-scaled areas around Calgary's core then around Edmonton's.

There is a case to be made that while Edmonton really only has one such area, Strathcona, it's the best neighbourhood in either city.
I'm not sure about cooler, but my discussion point was just about where (reasonably) walkable commerce is. As far as I can tell apart from Centre Street (and a few older town centres, maybe parts of the Transcanada) most of Calgary's commercial streets don't extend far from the core. Edmonton has a reasonable number scattered about (118 Ave, Stoney Plain Rd sort of, 82 Ave, and maybe 124 Ave) that seem as substantial as Centre Street. Is one set up better than the other? That's a personal taste. Also both can be done well or poorly. I'm just trying to talk about differences, not start a competition.