View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't understand your questions. What does anything you wrote have to do with what I wrote?

You were saying that Las Vegas only had 11 murders going by the incorporated part of the city. That's why I responded that it makes no sense to discount the majority of the city which isn't incorporated. Then you respond by saying who cares where the murders occur. That's the whole point of this thread. Counting murders by locale.

And, yeah, Detroit is absolutely tiny going by Sunbelt standards, though not sure what that has to do with anything. I was obviously talking population, not irrelevant land area.
I didn't realize you meant city = contagious metro area. Then it makes sense to say the City of Las Vegas is tiny relative to it's metro area, but then that's true of most metros.

The other poster mentioned how Atlanta had 15 murders and a low per capita rate but my responding point was that LVMPD's homicide rate technically isn't an equivalent comparison to Atlanta's homicide rate precisely because LV's homicide count includes the whole metro area (minus 2 suburbs) so you can't use Las Vegas's 600,000 population to calculate the homicide rate. You would instead have to use the metro population since that's the area LVMPD covers. To use LV's 600K population, you can only count the homicides that occurred within the incorporated City of Las Vegas (which as I tried to point out, isn't clear cut) otherwise it's an inaccurate homicide rate.