View Single Post
Old Posted May 29, 2011, 10:09 PM

A little update

My thanks to sopas ej and MikeD for helping identify locations! Late this morning I drove over to Silverlake to investigate the intersection of Vendome and Marathon. Here are some 1932 and 2011 comparisons. (Unfortunately I couldn't stand in the same spot the camera occupied in 1932 because it's now blocked by a wall.) One of the original houses still stands and is partly visible.

According to the book 'Famous Hollywood Locations', Jack Frost Ford was at 750 S LaBrea Avenue. The building was demolished but the buildings across the street remain the same.

Actually the buildings across the street are gone now too. I drive by that location on my way to and from work. The entire block between Wilshire and 8th Street (just south of the Daily Planet building) has been vacant for about a year I think, maybe longer. There are plans for a new massive apartment complex to be built there. The upside is that the hideous Brutalist tower that was on the southeast corner of Wilshire and La Brea is gone. And I'm thankful that the art deco Firestone store just south on La Brea remains.