View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Utter nonsense is right. Just like "The Big One is coming", I've been hearing this for quite a long time now. California had a big recession in the early 1990s that took a while to shake, and during that period, we had the LA riots and the Northridge Earthquake, and people were talking about the California dream "dying." My neighborhood has had and continues to have quite a number of cars with out-of-state plates, and most of them later on switch to California plates.

I've always entertained the idea of living outside the US; if I were to leave California, it would be to leave the US, not move to another goddamn state. I love California; it's been my home since forever, and I'm pretty sure I'll be here for quite a while.
I hope your optimism is correct, but to me the problems in CA seem to be piling up, largely unsolved. The housing shortage and unaffordability is especially daunting. This period seems more challenging than past periods of trouble. We have never had wildfires like those of the past few years. We have never had a period when large numbers of people can no longer afford housing. We have never seen more homeless, everywhere, not just skid row. Maybe we will muddle through like we have before. Maybe housing will be built that people can afford. But those in charge seem to jabber on and little gets done. I love California too, but the trends I see leave me worried.