View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 10:28 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Your state's/province's most interesting/ cuturally distinct city(ies)

One last thread idea I came up with while thinking about stuff on another thread.

Instead of looking at cities in terms of physical or statistical qualities, why not view them in terms of their feel and level of distinctiveness that not only sets them apart in their own state or province, but also in the point of view of a person who only has a superficial view of the place. All of this is opinion so no view is necessarily free from criticism or well founded subjective support.

To start, for me, the most distinct cities in Florida are probably Miami and Key West.

The former has a international feel that is different from the other Florida cities that seem almost as slight variations of the same thing ( looking at Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville). While most of Florida still has some Southern attributes that are to overlook, Miami almost seems like it suppose to be an outpost of either in the NE or the Caribbean. The culture there also makes it unique.

Key West has some of the same distinctiveness, but it's more isolated. Its architecture and vibe is almost from another era. I would say it's probably the best built city in Florida for what it is and where it is. I got nothing else to say about it, anyone else can mention something.

But, yes, Canadian cities are welcomed as well. This thread is pretty much what sets a city apart from its peers close by to warrant it is a unique entity.