View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i don't know if it's centralization so much as it is just general stagnation for decades on end.

in a growing/thriving metro area where the rising tide lifts both city and suburban boats, there's just less to fight about, but when the game gets a lot more zero-sum, the claws come out more often as people seek to protect what they perceive as "theirs".

and when you throw in the black/white racial divide which is very pronounced in midwest metros, and often along city/suburb lines, the finger pointing just gets that much more antagonistic.

on that last point, as chicago burbs have gotten a lot more racially/ethnically diverse over the past couple decades, i think that has played a role in softening some of the suburban ire that used to be directed solely toward the city in the past.
I think in Ohio Columbus has much less of a divide than Cincinnati or Cleveland. Part of this has to be the larger size of Columbus and also having larger(and fewer)suburbs overall. Good economy and growth overall is also probably helping. You can just look at the other two C's on a map and see the huge proliferation of suburban fiefdoms both small and large around those cities.