View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

Whoa, I think there was more to it than that,

"Employers used labor spies, agents provocateurs, private detective agencies, and strike breakers to engaged in a campaign of union busting. Local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies generally cooperated in this campaign, which often used violence against union members...

Desperate union officials turned to violence to counter the setbacks they had suffered. Beginning in late 1906, national and local officials of the Iron Workers launched a dynamiting campaign. The goal of the campaign was to bring the companies to the bargaining table, and not to destroy plants or kill people. Between 1906 and 1911, the Iron Workers blew up 110 iron works...The National Erectors' Association was well aware who was responsible for the bombings, since Herbert S. Hockin, a member of the Iron Workers' executive board, was their paid spy."

-from your link

But, if you're gonna blow things up, sometimes it can go horribly wrong. The bombers didn't take the gas pipes into account, which greatly added to the damage, causing a ferocious fire, plus the fact that some LAT staff were working overnight.

More union organizers had been killed by the union-buster terrorists, during the previous 25 years, than died in the Times bombing, not that that justifies anything.

BTW, a bomb was set in the non-union, under-construction Hall of Records that same night. It didn't go off.

...and as MR said, the image shows the LAT building built after the bombing.
Thanks everyone for correcting my post. I thought about the post afterwards and was going to change it. I realized that the year was off but I was too late. You guys are so fast! Interesting discussion was the result.