View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:52 AM

LAPL

Above is De Ville's listing from the 1899 L.A. city directory--this would have been the northeast corner of 6th & Spring. I did a little search for a pic from the era on the LAPL & USC files & didn't see anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if something were to turn up. Btw, it seems that alot of drugstores had their own custom bottles in those days. Maybe glue for paper labels wasn't sticky enough then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
I'm trying to find a photo of a pharmacy on the corner of 6th and Spring Streets circa 1900.

I recently acquired a box full of antique apothecary bottles and among them was one with raised letters saying "E.P. Deville Pharmacist 6th & Spring Sts. Los Angeles Pharmacie Francaise."

In Charles Lummis's December 1899 "Land of Sunshine" magazine in the new residents Commercial Blue Book section, under the Druggists heading, they list "EP Deville Sixth and Spring sts. Tel. Main 799"

I found one photo of a drug store on that intersection, but from several decades later, and I'm not sure if that one evolved from E.P. Deville's business or not. I don't know which corner Deville was on. If he was having his own custom bottles made he must have been a fairly prominent pharmacist.