View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:45 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Last night's speakers said they'd done preliminary engineering and found the new CTA station to be feasible. Listening between the lines, I heard concepts that sounded similar to our previous discussion. I doubt that any DPII demolition would be required. I just quickly sketched in a box for the station without looking at platform dimensions. I don't know if one end of the platforms would need to be dug beneath the townhomes or park, but I suspect the original grant of subsurface rights went beyond the width of the current tunnel. Obviously it's easier to do it cut-and-cover mostly west of Clark, with only the station headhouse on the site of the current substation. Enquist mentioned the possibility of partially daylighting the station. My sketch with a 550-foot platform:

I asked about funding and the official response was encouraging but noncommittal. After the meeting, a Related official I know told me that the picture is probably much more certain than they wanted to say publicly. Related will be putting in place a new TIF (the current one expires at the end of the year).
Thanks for details. I wanted to attend the meeting but had a previous commitment.

I just posted my thoughts in the transit thread, but they are essentially the same that you posted, minus the helpful graphic.

Obviously the further west of Clark the station box is placed, the better for Related, as it brings the station entrances closer to their site and reduces the impacts to Dearborn Park homes and Cottontail Park. Of course, it also brings the end of the platform closer to the point where the tracks start to curve and slope upward, but I'm sure there is a sweet spot somewhere where a 500' platform can be built.

Encouraging to hear that not only does Related plan a TIF for their site, but that it is expected to produce enough money for the new subway station and other infrastructure.