View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 4:52 AM
marcus

Adams Morgan l Washington, D.C.

This is Adams Morgan!

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ams_morgan.jpg, By Msclguru

Last Friday, I hoped on the train just on impulse with my camera and headed into DC. Didn't know where I was going but then I decided I loved what I saw around the Zoo in the Woodley Park neighborhood from past visits so I transferred to the red line. Seeing that Woodley Park and Adams Morgan share a metro station, I decided to head to Adams Morgan which I had only briefly visited in the past. I walked across Rock Creek Park on the Duke Ellington Memorial Bridge, named after the genius that was Duke Ellington who was a DC native. It is an absolutely beautiful neighborhood. It has so many cute shops, houses, and its really bustling. I didn't reach the entirety of the neighborhood and probably slipped out of its boundaries a few times, but this is the general area.

The name Adams Morgan comes from combining the names to two formerly segregated schools, the black Thomas P. Morgan Elementary School that is no longer, and the white John Quincy Adams Elementary School. When DC schools were desegregated in 1955, the Adams Morgan Community Council was formed and drew new lines for their newly renamed neighborhood that fused the former neighborhoods of Washington Heights, Lanier Heights, Kalorama-Triangle Historic District and Meridian Hill into one.

The neighborhood is very diverse. When I walked around it looked like a pretty even mixture of White, Black, and Hispanic, with perhaps a slightly more Hispanic population mostly due to the fact that the neighborhood has been a gateway for immigrants since the 1960s.

It's also a center for Nightlife in DC, and competes with Dupont and Georgetown in that respect. I've never been down at night though! The resurgence of growth in DC over the past decade has led to a lot of hipsters moving into the neighborhood, which is rather interesting. I'm pretty sure housing prices have grown significantly in the neighborhood since their arrival. The neighborhood is growing again, which is great. It is currently home to about 15,000 people, down from its prime in 1950 of 21,000, but higher than its low of 14,000 in 2000. The neighborhood is in Northwest, and surrounded by the neighborhoods of Dupont Circle, Columbia heights, Kalorama-Sheridan, and Mount Pleasant.

Ive been playing around with selective color, just for fun!

Buckle up! Here we go!!

18th Street, the main commercial drag in Adams Morgan

2. Renovation on Columbia road. Lots of rehabs in the area

5. Duke Ellington Bridge as evening approaches. The bridge was designed by Paul Philippe Cret in a neoclassical style and constructed in 1935. Flows over Rock Creek

6. Unity in Diversity Statue the intersection of Euclid and Champlain Streets. This part of the neighborhood is mostly Hispanic with a lot of shops on Columbia Road

15. Businesses on Columbia road

19. Like a lot of DC neighborhoods, Adams Morgan is very bike friendly. This is over the Duke Ellington Bridge with Woodley Park in the background

21. Duke's Bridge on the right, with the William Howard Taft bridge to the left. the Taft bridge was constructed in Classical Revival style and built between 1897–1907.It is apparently the largest unreinforced concrete structure in the world. Underneath is Rock Creek and Rock Creek Park which offers some pretty dramatic elevation changes

22. This is actually Woodley Park, which is also a very busy neighborhood. The metro is actually in this neighborhood on Connecticut Avenue. Woodley Park lies west of Adams Morgan, just across Rock Creek

23. These houses are on a steep grade behind them. The National Zoo is directly behind them as well in Rock Creek Park

31. A field in Walter C Pierce Community Park

32. Looking south down 18th street toward the Cathedral of Saint Matthew the Apostle in Farragut Square (The domed structure towards the left)

33. 18th Street

37. National Baptist Memorial Church in the background on Columbia Road. Surprisingly hard to find info on it. It's located in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood

39. 18th

40. Apartment buildings line Columbia Road across from Kalorama Park

41. 18th again

42. Looking south down Connecticut Avenue towards the Dupont Circle neighborhood

Woodley Park/Zoo/Adams Morgan Metro Station

Now back to College Park