View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
That is horrendous. Why even bother preserving any of it? Or for that matter why did they choose to build this shite specifically on top of that Parish Hall? It's not even a skyscraper. Just basically the same volume with an office building swallowing what was there originally. Horrid. The 80's bathroom tile columns add insult to injury.
I was quite bothered by it back when this was done, and time hasn't made it any easier to accept. I have to assume it was completely a financial decision, an aging parish hall that needs work and has outlived its usefulness to the church combined with basically no rules requiring buildings like this to be preserved. I suppose the architects thought they were doing a good thing by incorporating some of the original materials into the building (including the cornerstone), but in the end it seemed more like a slap in the face than honouring what was there before.

FWIW, height is restricted in that part of town due to sightlines from the Citadel, but I would have no idea whether that affected the design or not.

Either way, it sucks...