View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:54 AM

The Turning Point (1952) has been covered in bits and pieces before on the thread, but posting the shot of the gas tanks DTLA from the film made me want to leave a few more out in the rain, plus a couple of "afters". I hope this isn't too many, but they're easy and fun to do (and besides, I can't sleep). Thx to Beaudry and others for some of the IDs. There's also a mystery or two if anyone has answers. There's a couple of duplicates, but I skipped Angels Flight. Its been covered.

Another Holden outing set in a city that's not LA, à la "Union Station". Carolyn Jones has a cameo as a blonde. Everything's from Paramount/Youtube, unless noted.

Zipping east on 9th between Los Angeles and Santee with the Eastern Columbia in the distance. Except for signage, the north side of 9th has not changed at all:

Heading north on Olive, coming up to 3rd:

3rd and Olive, our old friend, I've lost track of how many films used this location. The camera never swings around to show us Angels Flight though:

Tom Tully dances out of a cab outside the Gladden. Looking east on 1st at Olive:

Wm Holden, lurking in the shadows, watching as Tully enters the Gladden:

The reverse shot, showing the inside of Pollinger's Market (according to Beaudry http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2155).
Holden exhibits a level of cool throughout most of this film that would snap a lesser man in half:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
I don't think that we have seen this shot of the Gladden Hotel at the corner of First Street and Olive before:

http://www.electricearl.com/bh/GladdenApts.html (1956, I believe)
Alexis Smith & Holden outside the Hill-Crest at #427, next door to the Sunshine Apts (Edith Head did the costumes):

Thugs spill out of the Sunshine. Nice shot of the dizzying steepness:

Classy apartment building, but I can't make out the name Leland Bryant's "The Colonial House" (1930), 1416 Havenhurst, W Hollywood:
(Head should never have put Holden in a double-breasted suit):

Pulling away from The Colonial House, heading towards the hills:

Pulling up to the Spring St side of City Hall. What is that brown brick building? (Identified as the Bank of Italy Building by MR):

Holden tails Tully to City Hall, ducks behind a column and then watches from the top of the steps as Tully leaves:

Tully heads up 2nd St from Hill on foot:

Tully's fedora vs de Corsia's homberg. In this instance, the homberg gets the upper hand:

2nd & Hill today and all that's left of our beautiful railing:

gsv

de Corsia watches Tully head west:

Good companion shot to the one above, showing the roof lines of the buildings:

onbunkerhill.org

Today:

gsv

Closer view of the laundry and the liquor store on the north side of 2nd:

Cold-eyed hitman Tony Barr (interesting guy, check his IMDB page) gets the mark while the liquor store clerk freaks out. "Buy Oaleo Wine":

It's Barr's turn to take a hit:

An impressive number of extras show up in the aftermath of the double hit:

The neighborhood's abuzz (b/c, really now, how often does Wm Holden show up on 2nd St?):

Glimpses of the south side of 2nd:

We take a detour to the Paramount lot (not the only one), as one's not actually allowed to set fire to LA (at least not in '52):

A bar on Hill (?):

Holden gets caught in the double helix at the Hotel Central, 310 Clay St:

Holden exits the back of the Vendome, 231 S Hill. They have a room for rent if you need one:

Holden heads towards the Belmont, 251 S Hill:

Holden meets a contact named "Pink" outside a discount store. The actor's uncredited, which is a shame b/c he's really good in both his scenes:

Detroit hitman Neville Brand gets an "LA" job over the phone (Pool hall in a basement? Could this be Hollywood Billiards in the Hollywood Western Building?) LA played Detroit in "True Romance" too:

Holden at the fights. The last 9 minutes of the film take place at this arena. I don't recognize it (Identified as Grand Olympic Auditorium, 1801 S Grand. Thx again MR):

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 26, 2015 at 9:07 PM. Reason: fix links