View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 8:29 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
One of the first things that stands out to me in that story is all the digging required to determine who inspected what, and even by the end there's no reveal of who signed off on the waterproofing. Perhaps a good step for all construction projects would be a single sheet provided to purchasers/condo board listing each type of inspection along with the name of the inspector and their associated company who signed off.
When I first started in construction, all my submittal drawings were reviewed and approved by the engineers. The drawings were stamped as such. Over time they stopped using the word "approved" and have replaced it with "reviewed". There is less responsibility being taken by the professionals in the industry and it's trickled down to poorer quality projects.

We had a condo downtown in Edmonton, Standard wood frame construction built in around 2005, and the year after we sold it they discovered a problem with the way the balcony membrane application tied into the exterior wall at the base where the balconies recessed into the building. It was a stupid mistake and someone should have caught it. It cost the owners thousands each in assessments to repair.