View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 4:09 AM
Constantly Sketching

Quote:
Say what you will about the fact that, in your opinion, a single detail of this building isn't perfect, but no one else cares.
Nah man, it doesn't work like that. He gets to feel his way about it. As do you, as do I.

One day this building will fade into the built environment, (probably not in a, many-other-supertall-buildings-will-block-it-from-view kind of way, although that would rule), but people will remark on it in the way that any of us remarked on buildings that pre-exist our life times. It will simply be there, such that it's accepted, and probably even beloved. But right now, it's new, and in it's newness comes valid critique.

I also don't like the louvers. They aren't uniform or particularly well considered. They're on the side of the building, that, arguably will get the most visibility, whether that's tourist traffic, actual traffic or Bears game helicopter shots. The north and south sides also have two small louver spots that frankly will never not look like windows that need to be replaced.

Those louvers aren't in any of the renderings which suggests that either the architect didn't want to show them, or more likely, the developer cut corners somewhere and they became necessary, but either way, their existence suggests a failure in the design process at some point along the course of development.

All of the other supertalls in this city integrate their mechanical floors in ways that seem logical and unobtrusive to the building's overall effect. The north side of Regis is clearly the best, and it definitely seems like that was Gang's intent, but unfortunately buildings aren't single sided.

I'm sure one day i'll come to accept the louvers and eventually the building, but I'm not going to make excuses for something that feels like a design failure, either by architect, developer or both. If someone can find an example of a modern supertall that integrates its mechanical floors in such a incongruous way as this, I'd love to see supporting evidence.

Also, preemptively, these louvers aren't a case of form follows function. The building is sculptural in a way that suggests the opposite, which honestly is why the louvres are so upsetting.

Anyway, this my one post for the year. Here's to 100 more supertalls for Chicago.