View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 6:09 PM

I also bought one of the higher-floor units at 567 Clarke (penthouse levels). The views should be amazing (and were in presentation material).

I already live in the area (and like it) and am looking to downsize.

$/sqft (for living+deck space) was <$800. I could easily have paid double in downtown Van - while having to deal with miserable traffic.

This is an hot, emerging transit-friendly area with dozens of mixed-use towers nearby, built, under-construction, approved, or planned.

Construction and sales slowed slightly by a downturn in the GVRD condo market, but development is steamrolling along. The nearby ~50-storey HighPoint project (LedMac) is being resurrected and is about to open their presentation centre (in the revised 567 Clarke Presentation Centre) and is advertising "2 Bedrooms from $534,900 including parking and bike storage".

The smaller building at 567 Clarke is rental - for the tall tower, I expect none of the units sold to "money launderers" and only a few, if any, went to foreign buyers.

For Real Estate purchases, there is a lot of FinTrac vetting now. Overseas money is a also lot scarcer and harder to move for reasons unrelated to Canadian financial and tax regimes.

If someone were moving shady money into Canadian real estate, it's a statistically insignificant portion of sales -and is probably going to Ontario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecapital View Post
Got a unit just below the penthouses. Mostly because it was the floor plan I wanted. Proximity to sky train was a huge factor for working in Vancouver. Don’t know a lot about Coquitlam but it seems great. Nearby shopping, parks and the freeway. It was a few years ago when this place went for sale. But you definitely couldn’t get similar units for similar prices in Vancouver. The Joyce opened soon after with smaller units and $50k more if you wanted a parking space. Downtown is great but not worth the price premium. Can’t wait to try the amenities on the 28th floor