View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I completely disagree. "Missing piece" implies that it is needed/required. Not so fast my friend.

And, unless you are located in Asia, and have a bottomless bucket of cash, those types of towers are not being built anymore. They cost too much to build with very little return on capital investment.

Additionally, unless it is mega-tall, it will loose it's luster should actual buildings be built around it at or taller in height.

For example - Take the following towers and place them in downtown San Antonio:
The Austonian and Independent plus if/when complete - 6XG, 4th & Brazos, BBVA, Block 16, The Republic, Travis II, and Tower 5C - they will all be taller than the roof of The Tower of the Americas (622'). Four will be near or taller than the height to the tip of its antenna (~730').

The iconic tower/spire would disappear. Its unobstructed view of the city would be reduced dramatically.
completely agree.

ToA was sooo cool.....when I was 10. Took my kids there last year.....yawn. The history is cool, the food TERRIBLE, views are ok. I think these towers had their day....kinda like a old carnival ride from the 70's. The memories are much better than reality. Most of the guests I saw could barely get off their phones to look at the view....which is really all you get. It's not like you are perched on the Grand Canyon....or a skyline view framed by Mt Rainier, Pacific Ocean, or even Puget Sound.