View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
It's probably not so much about emphasizing that finishes and fittings are cheap as it is about the high expectations for quality given the LSE location (especially following Aqua and other condo buildings), the marquee design of the tower, and, above all, the rents being sought by the landlord. The same same finishes and fittings in a south or west Loop tower would probably not elicit the same complaints. So if somebody wants to dress down Magellan for cheaping out on supposedly luxury accommodations, please have at it.

----

Hayward, or somebody, do ceiling heights ever figure into LEED certification? It would seem to me that 8'-6" is environmentally friendly and 9'-6" is a lot of wasted air, especially over 1200 SF, to heat or cool. If they aren't considered in LEED, maybe it's high time they are. There are still too many stupid decisions that are going into advertising something as environmentally friendly or not. (Not that I don't think everyone should get a choice of what configuration of apartment they want, as long as they are willing to pay for it.)
It's not worth considering when you have the sins of a building with a parking garage, a tower built of concrete, and doors that can be opened to the exterior at all times of the year. At that point ceiling height is pretty negligible in whether it saves or loses energy especially when it's all heavily compartmentalized to individual units.

It's a bigger deal in larger facility like warehouses and factories. Even just dropping a ceiling a foot across a 100K sqft space reduces heating and cooling loads substantially, not just to run stuff less, but entirely remove equipment saving cost.

Even as a LEED professional, I think it sets some good benchmarks to get architects, developers and owners thinking about sustainable design, but it certainly isn't the central solution and its perceived improvements can end the moment users move in and stop turning off the lights, recycling or find the car in the parking garage more convenient than walking to work.