View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:46 PM

^Nonetheless, the sourrounding context is still larger buildings. I agree the stripmall was crap, but that first proposal some 13 years ago "Steeltown" was actually quite nice, would have been one of the few nicer modern designs produced by LaGreange's firm. A larger building makes sense, not just from the location midway between two rapid transit stations; but also to block noise from the El. As you mentioned, the area was mostly industrial along the rail line in the past; residential is a less intensive use even with higher unit counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Couldn't agree more on reaction to comment on rental units. Beyond ridiculous - comments like that should be openly derided and shot down by aldermen and the city as not being consistent with the city's broad housing policy, goals, vision, and actual direction.

On the neighborhood investment discussion - I think it's a matter of proportionality......we all realize there is investment happening out in da wards, it's just that it is highly likely to be a lower proportion of the overall investment than it should be, and probably than other first tier US cities have........(just to be crystal clear, I'm not saying at all that investment in the core should probably be any less in absolute terms, in fact I feel just the opposite - it should probably be even a bit more!)...

Also, I saw that on Burnett's challenger as well. Sounds good to me! Burnett is nearly pure hack......
I would not say Burnett is nearly pure hack; I have seen him defind larger projects before. I've met him on a few occasions, he's a really good guy overall and does 'get it'; but the West Loop is a very high maintenance constituency that he has to serve.