View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:58 PM

I still can't get over how awful the original entrance/nightclub area was (the top half of the photo above). What happened I wonder...did they decide at the last minute to tack it on? If it was still the same architect (like they say), why didn't he design something complimentary to the rest of the hotel? Sorry to go on and go.

I always thought the 1950s addition destroyed the look of the hotel...but from looking at these earlier photos I'd have to say it was never an architectural masterpiece. One would have to say it's fame came from the events that occurred there.....the Academy Award Ceremonies at it's extremely popular Coconut Grove Nightclub, and much later the assassination of RFK.

below: An aerial of the Ambassador Hotel from 1987 that I don't recall seeing before.

Javier Mendoza

Are those gas tanks/meters on the distant horizon? Could this have been the area where they found Elizabeth Short's body? (I need to check my 1947 map...I could be way off the mark). Note: In one of the photographs of the murder scene there is a gas tank in view.
(of course now that I mentioned it I can't find that particular photo)

I just noticed the stand alone tall building building visible in the upper right. Does anyone know what this building is? It looks fairly ornate.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM.