View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
here's a photograph that i have never seen before (i have seen it as a postcard view but never a photograph), of singleton court on palm drive just north of west adams between flower and olive, (currently the site of the orthopaedic medical center).

Source: LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics37/00068308.jp

The view is looking south towards west adams

Scott details the history of this street and it's palm tree's so well on his Los angeles Past Blog site

Singleton Court, located on 3 1/2 acres at 2400 South Flower Street in the West Adams district of Los Angeles, was a Colonial Revival style home, and the residence of John Singleton. Singleton made his fortune as the president of the Yellow Aster Mining Co. in Randsburg, California. Sometime before 1918, the house was destroyed by fire, leaving only the brick stable building. A later owner, John Brockman, deeded the property to the Los Angeles Orthopaedic Foundation, and the stables were converted into a clinic. The clock tower was removed to Brockman's estate in Glendale.
Interesting picture! I haven't seen that one before, either. I wonder if that clock tower still stands in Glendale today...

As an aside, I recently heard from the director of the old Orthopaedic Hospital campus, and they were apparently very pleased and appreciative to learn about the history of the Longstreet palms. I'm just glad to have been able to bring some of that history to light. More remains to be discovered, however! Thanks to all those who have helped in the process!

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM.