View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here's a better view of the First German United Methodist Church from the mid-80s. It also shows the San Carlos Hotel and Googies. The Biltmore Tower is under construction in the background.

USC Digital Library
Hoss & Beaudry, have I ever mentioned that you guys are amazing?

My father was the daytime parking lot attendant at 447 S. Olive ca. 1954-61. During summer vacations, he'd occasionally give my mom a break by taking me to work with him, so to some degree I grew up on that block. Some of the fondest memories of my childhood involve breakfast at Googie's (short stack, glass of milk), playing handball off the building at the back of the lot, wandering through downtown and especially watching my dad and his evening relief dig cars out of the back spaces with stunt driver skills for early-departing commuters.

As the lot was near the Philharmonic Auditorium, he took care of a variety of celebs from the era - though they didn't always take care of him. I could name a few names, but they're all gone now and no point taking shots.

Thanks so much for those photos, even though the church isn't my personal focus.