View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The point is that there are a lot more tech companies being funded by VC in places that are not the Bay Area (or New York, or Boston) than there were a decade ago.
According to the article I quoted and linked above, if we look how venture capital was spread among the nation's metros, "[O]nly about 30 percent of 2018 VC investment landed outside the superstar metros of San Francisco, San Jose, New York and Boston. That’s down from 61 percent back in 1995, and 34 percent in 2017." That's a downward trend for the non-VC hubs.

But that's total funding, which I think is the better metric, and not the number of venture capital deals (as close a proxy for 'companies' as I could find) which you're focused on.

"The share of VC deals going outside the superstar regions is still smaller than it was in the 1990s and early 2000s, but it’s the biggest it has been since 2007."

So you might be just squeaking by on this one--relative to the national total, the share of deals outside the major VC hubs does appear to be more than in 2009, but still fewer than there were in the years leading up to, and including, 2007. Perhaps the long-term trend is reversing, but we'll have to wait to see.