View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 2:45 PM

A few days ago, I came across the picture below while I was looking for something else. The location wasn't named (other than the description "unidentified building within the Central Manufacturing District"), and I didn't instantly recognize it, but I thought that there were enough clues to work with.

USC Digital Library

I've flipped this close-up of the flags to show the text the right way around. It also shows the corner detailing.

Detail of picture above.

Zooming in on the background buildings in the center, we can see a cafeteria next to the parked cars, and a familiar domed beuilding behind.

Detail of picture above.

Here's a different view of the domed building in a picture originally posted by Flyingwedge in post #11058. The location is the Los Angeles Union Stock Yards at 4500 Downey Road, which means that the foreground building in the first picture is the Produce Terminal of the Central Manufacturing District (which explains the "CMD Termi..." on the flags). Flyingwedge's post also includes pictures of a couple of other Stock Yard buildings and e_r's original picture of the domed building during construction.

LAPL/Flyingwedge

On this 1948 aerial, the Stock Yards can be seen above Exchange Avenue, while the Produce Terminal and assorted box cars can be seen below it.

Historic Aerials

Another USC shot shows the view looking back towards where the first was taken from.

USC Digital Library

The picture below is one of a set of three showing the road side of the Produce Terminal in 1929. USC also has a similar set taken at the same location in 1932. The name on the building is the Blue Diamond Produce Co. The address on the trucks is 4219 No. Produce Plaza, Produce Terminal, Central Mfg. Dist.

USC Digital Library

After a bit of searching, I found some pictures taken around the time the buildings were demolished in the mid-80s. This must be the eastern end of the main building as the roofline is different.

Flickr user emd

Not long to go ...

Flickr user emd

... and gone.

Flickr user emd

Here's a current Google aerial view. I've overlaid the outlines of some of the Stock Yard and Produce Terminal buildings.

Google Maps

When I applied the overlay, I noticed that the building I've marked "X" lines up perfectly with the outline. Switching to Streetview, it looks like we've got a survivor.

GSV

A close-up of some of the details which prove that it was part of the original complex.

GSV